Michigan Casino and Sports Betting Numbers February 2024

Latest News

February 2024 was a busy month for online casino and sports betting operators in the state of Michigan. According to the Michigan Gaming Control Board, online operators reported a total online monthly aggregate revenue of $188 million, a new record for the state!

This figure combines both online sports wagering and online gaming. Of the $188 million in revenue, $181.9 million, or 97% was generated by online gaming, while the remaining 3% was generated by online sports wagering. The gaming market in Michigan continues to see unprecedented growth and remains the most popular state to wager online in the country.

When we compare these figures with February 2023 numbers, it’s clear that the state is continuing to push the envelope on what’s possible in the iGaming market. Year-over-year, the online gaming market has grown around 26.9% in the state. The state’s 15 online casinos continue to generate millions of dollars in taxes every single month both for the state and local governments. Last month iGaming was responsible for generating $46.9 million in taxes. $33.8 million went to the state treasurer’s office, while the remaining $12.9 million will be distributed to local municipalities.

Three online operators continue to dominate the state of Michigan’s gaming market with no signs of slowing down. Those three are BetMGM, DraftKings, and FanDuel. FanDuel and DraftKings have at times switched positions, but continue to stay in the top three spots every single month. Fourth place was taken by Rivers Casino this month with $12.1 million in revenue. That’s over $24 million behind DraftKings in third.

Online sports wagering continued to see a decline in performance in the state of Michigan generating a total sports betting handle of $415.8 million. That is down almost 30.9% from the $601.6 million in January. Despite the drop, sports betting still saw growth year over year when compared with February 2023 numbers, translating to about 16% growth. The state of Michigan has just 14 online sportsbooks compared to the 15 online casino brands. The 14 online sportsbooks generated $30.5 million in total gross receipts in February and experienced a 7.25% hold. This is slightly down from the 8% hold in January. On the sports betting side of things, BetMGM is not as dominant. FanDuel and DraftKings are the two leading Sportsbook operators in the state of Michigan. Online sportsbook operator, Fanatics Sportsbook launched last month, taking the place of PointsBet in Michigan. The operator generated a handle of $9.2 million which was surprisingly quite good for its first month.

City of Detroit Casino Performance

The City of Detroit has three retail casinos that operate independently from other tribal casinos in the state. The three casinos are the MGM Grand, the Hollywood Casino in Greektown, and the MotorCity Casino. The three retail casinos reported $104.63 million AGR or monthly aggregate revenue for February. $104.76 million was generated from table games and slots with -$124,853 generated from retail sports wagering. Bet MGM and MotorCity both reported a drop in qualified adjusted gross receipts or QAGR. Hollywood Casino at Greektown reported a $12,965 QGAR for the month. During February, the three Detroit casinos paid $8.49 million in gaming taxes and just $4901 in sports betting taxes to the state. $12.5 million went to the city of Detroit last month for iGaming and $5,991 from sports wagering to the city of Detroit.

Below is a complete breakdown by operator of numbers from February:

Retail Casino PartnerOnline Casino SkinRevenuePromosTaxes
MGM Grand DetroitBetMGM$50,257,368$5,025,737$13,230,252
MotorCityFanDuel$48,441,932$4,844,193$12,752,339
Bay MillsDraftKings$36,884,777$3,688,478$9,294,964
Little River Band of OttawaBetRivers$12,121,656$1,212,166$3,021,352
Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa and ChippewaCaesars$10,731,750$1,073,175$2,632,679
GreektownHollywood Casino$4,869,918$486,992$1,038,351
Keweenaw BayGolden Nugget$4,624,567$462,457$966,342
Pokagon Band of PotawatomiFour Winds$3,652,624$365,262$714,143
Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of ChippewaWynnBet$2,999,806$310,258$572,187
Little Traverse Bay Bands of OdawaPokerStars$2,963,518$296,352$558,994
Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of PottawatomiPlay Gun Lake$2,715,964$271,596$497,490
Saginaw ChippewaEagle$2,685,319$268,532$511,458
Lac Vieux Desert Band of Lake Superior ChippewaFanatics$1,862,070$186,207$335,173
Nottawaseppi Huron Band of PotawatomiFireKeepers$1,830,762$183,076$329,537
HannahvilleSI$1,390,243$139,024$250,244

Mac Daniel is a writer for PlayOnlineCasino and PlayOnlineSportsBetting. He has experience writing about a wide variety of topics, including healthcare, tourism, non-profit organizations, and most recently casino and sportsbetting news. To check out more of his work, visit: playonlinemichigan.com